Sunday, January 13, 2008

Where is Aubrey DeGrey at a Time like This?

The chief problem about death, incidentally, is the fear that there may be no afterlife -- a depressing thought, particularly for those who have bothered to shave. Also, there is the fear that there is an afterlife but no one will know where it's being held. --Woody Allen



Having found this marvelous clip, I have to ask myself, what does Aubrey DeGrey, Gerontologist -and great proponent for the shunting of resources to study ways to prolong human life indefinitely- believe about Jung's fatalism. Indeed, we have come a long way since Harrington penned The Immortalist in 1969, but still, I have to say my money is on brother Carl above.

Jung certainly did not have the obsessions of Harrington, nor did he carry the vision of DeGrey, but still many people are fascinated with the concept of this quest to live forever. DeGrey says people living now can be supplied enough assistance to make it to the next breakthrough period. If you are fifty, and your body might give out by eighty, maybe ninety years of age, perhaps we can find enough clues to keep you alive another thirty years. I may sound dismissive saying the word clues. DeGrey is a true scientist, and is actually getting a lot of acclaim in his home in Great Britain.

Of course the excitement happens when you realize that these efforts are only so you can live long enough to get the bugs out of the procedures that would get you to live until you are two-hundred years old. From there, we will then figure out how to make you live longer.... DeGrey outlined seven points upon which the human body degrades in aging. Therefore, his research is focused on outlining how to isolate, and eliminate these system failures


I am not a scientist, but I do love the idea of people learning to redus=ce suffering, and if one can reduce the wear and tear on the h8uman body, I am all for it. Many times I have heard how my dna degenerates from generation to generation. I have heard how mitochondrial evidence that was once claimed could trace the DNA trail to Eve, the original woman. I then read how, well that is not true, becase the mitochondria degrades from pass to pass.

My little brain cannot handle all this. Everything everyone has shown me tells me that everything breaks down.

In a motor oil commercial, I remember they showed an engine fired up with all the pistons firing. Then, they discussed 'viscosity and thermal break-down.' Just as the metals in every engine breakdown, so is true of the tissues in my body. Can DeGrey halp me stop this? I remain skeptical. Still, his research does show promise and hope to many millions of people.

If I should embrace any one thing, it is that I have a decision to make everyday. That decision is to embrace life, or drift towards death. I make decisions everyday to make myself feel better. Are eros and thanatos (life and death) truly the two warring drives in man? Well, I cannot muse on the veracity of freudian ideas. I can say that if I continue to suplement my blood, and continue to eat lighter than I had, I will live a happier, healthier life. I hope you enjoy the clip.

Thank you for reading.

2 comments:

Whirlwind man said...

hey there...it's a nice post...keep it up, dude.

Well, about living longer, i want to live a quality life...though it's a fact that we can't have quality if we don't have quantity.

pinkheart said...

hi there! thanks for dropping by my blog. u got an amazing blog here. actually i like reading it. inspiring and makes me think of things about my life toO...

im coping with every changes of my life and it's kinda difficult..

anyway, keep this going! :) have a nice day..