Monday, February 25, 2008

after talking to a lawyer friend.....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


I am sitting in the parking lot of Safeway, pondering the bicycle ride home. I have read an article on the diminishing nature of the First Ammendment of the Constitution. I laugh. A friend sent me a lecture given by a law professor all about the fraility of our freedoms.
We have sat a long time thinking that our freedoms are a guarantee. It is important for me to note, that the lecture my friend sent me, was given by a law professor in 1988 right before his retirement. Having traveled to a coupole different countries in my short time onb this planet, one thing I am struck by is this: even if I am going to a place that is relatively safe, the fact remains is I come from a place where I have learned to accept my freedoms as God given. They are not.
I am a person who knows that I do not know the laws of anyplace I go , have no idea how to manage myself in the event of a crisis. I believe in the goodness of the world in which I live. I believe in the protection of my Creator, and I believe in the prudence, the simplicity I have adopted to make myself less of a target for trouble.
It wasd right here in Redding, California, when I was stopped on foot twice in one week by police. Both times I was beyond reproach, stayed unassuming, and then went on my way. When I told a friend of mine in the Philippines about the events, she said, "You did nothing wrong? Oh my God, you liver in a police state!" I cannot change the woerrld, but I can change myself. I find my gift comes from a great faith, and from an understanding of what I can do or not do to draw goodness or trouble my way.
In the weeks following the death of Bobby Fischer, I can only laugh in the almost snippy tone of the article when people spoke of his horrible anti-Semitism, and his outspoken comments on politics. He lived in Reykjavic, Iceland where he finished out his life. The people interviewed in the article said, "We do not necessarily like his opinions, but we believe in free speech. "
I do not know if I take any of this all that seriousluy. Maybe I will compile my thoughts on this in a while... In the meantime, I will get a copy of that article, and post it. I will write this for today, as I continue my experience of life here in the police state.... Sorry.... I was tickled by the reference...
.
Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

obscurio said...

it's true keith, at home the government are re-introducing the infamous stop and search policy and this is aimed squarley at black youths.

and they can do this by scaring the populace into thinking we need it.

viva la keith!