Wednesday, April 30, 2008

No Preocupa


Cassandra (kə-săn'drə)
n.
  1. Greek Mythology. A daughter of Priam, the king of Troy, endowed with the gift of prophecy but fated by Apollo never to be believed.
  2. One that utters unheeded prophecies.
"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7: 6

Pernicious indeed are the efforts of the seemingly well-intentioned. The comfort I take is the quiet knowledge that many people while causing harm have no good intentions at all. I need to take stock of my own motives whenever I want to counsel someone on their language use. I have read enough psychology, pop psychology, self-help books, and far reaching philosophies from westerners exploring the east and easterners wanting to think west. My favorite response to questions is "I do not know." I think this will shelter my heart from virulent attacks, of other well-meaning interlopers.

Of what is the language I speak? Throughout my adult years I have listened to countless arrogant advisories from people telling me, musing on books, watching films, or otherwise involving themselves carelessly in the language of others. How are the words you use going to effect you? Answer: I do not know. No spurious claims on how your success or failure rest on your word usage will issue from my lips. Not today.

I will listen politely as you tell me anything about your life. You can be confident, pro-active, self-deprecating, or mindlessly self-effacing. Your maintenance of your language, and your use of your words remains none of my concern. The reason is not some high minded philosophic commitment to non-interference. It is my personal assurance that I do not know what any person's true goals are; what a person has in their heart should often stay guarded, and I fully believe reading- from Dr. Phil, Dr. Laura, Baba Ram Das, Tim Leary, Rush Limbaugh, or sheriff Joe Arpaio- in no way qualifies me to guide an individual in their acquisition of their goals. As such, I cannot bring you unsolicited advice, of which my opinions are legion.

Sigh. I speak often of the damage I believe is caused by too much reading. Certainly that statement alone will reduce my readership. Be it by compliance or revulsion, I will drive you away, no doubt. ( Such thoughts could have a negative impact on my life). I know, because many people have told me so... I would never discourage someone from reading. I cherish my visitors to this blog.

But for me, I have to temper my temptation to read studies. No one yet has produced a study which I am assured would yield positive returns for me. That is a study that I know will show conclusive evidence that many people accomplish great things by not listening to psychology obsessed directors.

I do not say that negative self-talk is not harmful. But is the constant analytical chatter of the control freaks of the world any better. We have nothing to fear but fear itself, so I cannot stifle myself by stopping everything I do to ask myself : is this going to inhibit my growth.

My life is moving in a good direction, despite everything people have tried to do to convince me otherwise. I am growing up just as fast as I was intended.

Update: I have been to give my blood. I have given countless vials of my blood to the phlebotomist and will have my platelets counted, my sugars analyzed, my metabolic panel checked out, and my medication load looked at.... More to report later...



3 comments:

Aice Nice Concepts said...

when I was young really like to read about greek, myths and all...
^_^ nice post here very informative

PinaySmile said...

I agree with you... This post is very informative. Keep posting.

Miah Laborte said...

ei thanks for dropping by my site...
:) Maayong Gabi-e kanimo! :) added u on my blogroll by the way...