Thursday, May 8, 2008

What is a Meme? Just my Take....


A meme (pronounced /mɛmɛ/[citation needed], /miːm/[1] or /mɛm/[citation needed]) consists of any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that gets transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, practices, habits, songs, dances and moods and terms such as race, culture, and ethnicity. Memes propagate themselves and can move through a "culture" in a manner similar to the behavior of a virus. As a unit of cultural evolution, a meme in some ways resembles a gene. Richard Dawkins, in his book, The Selfish Gene,[2] recounts how and why he coined the term meme to describe how one might extend Darwinian principles to explain the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. He gave as examples tunes, catch-phrases, beliefs, clothing-fashions, and the technology of building arches



So, as I look at people promoting their “memes” in their techie world, I promote mine. I was in a Raley's supermarket when I saw a box in their cafe'. The box was of a box of tea; the variety was Earl Grey with bergamot. I cannot tell you what compelled -some marketing man, some technical writer, or heretic – to think it reasonable to add the phrase “with bergamot” to a box of a tea, which, by definition has bergamot in it.


I had already had some coffee by this time, and was ready to explain to this poor lady why this is an issue. I explained to her about memes and how I am certain this information will change her life. I looked quickly in her eyes, hoping for a moment of rapport, a signification that the transmission had taken place. I did see something happen, a twitch, a momentary pause, a sense that with her, with this moment, a transformation had occurred in her psyche.


This mission is one of opening doors, of expanding opportunities.


Sometimes we have to ask why something unnecessary is added. I need to know a little of the feng shui of the moment. We are looking to the future for the promise of greater prosperity. No, not as a monk. But, I do need to know ultimately what I really believe. From there I can pass on any information I think will benefit others. I love listening to The Skeptics Guide to the Universe (Check links under Neurologica for more information). Of course, as some will say , it is only their reality. What ideas do we want to spread today? What do I really believe is my mission statement? How do I propose to infect the world today?


As a person whose philosophic influences include both atheist and secular religious thinkers, it is funny that one thread that seems to run through both, and that is there is really little cause to infect anyone with anything, anywhere. Monkhood for me is about no longer believing the lie that I will be that butterfly that changes the world.


So, all altruism mythology cast aside, I chase the interaction. I love the connection I have with the world here. Whether we are discussing God, word etymologies, friends , or families, I am certain that my motives remain selfish. Is it wrong for me to say that? I am sure I will have more to share soon.


I have Feedjit now that I may track the paths of infection.


Thank you for reading.





1 comment:

perfect imperfection said...

Thank you for your comment. I am learning how to do this blog thing and it is turning into a wonderfull outlet, and a process of thought clarity. Have a wonderfull day and God Bless.