Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jangan Bermain Api! or Don't Play With Fire


I am sitting in Redding, CA. While I was stocking groceries in Cypress Square on Saturday, I was amazed at the weather. Here I am, from San Jose, California, and this surprise rain showers with an astounding (maybe not astounding. I have no idea what is normal) 5, 000 lightning strikes, creating around 700 fires, giving firefighters enormous amounts of overtime hours .

While I am aware of the damage, and potential damage to peoples' homes, and the fear people face living in their homes in the more forested areas here in the north state, I am thinking about me, and the air quality of the valley I live in. It is strange how when I left my apartment yesterday, I was struck with that humid, warm air. I was feeling the exhaust of all those fires on my skin.

Here, in Redding, the exhaust hung in the air for days, blowing out, and filling back in. The advisories to stay in are falling back as the air starts to improve, but it is amazing what this little day of storming did to our valley in one, short day. Still, many people, even if their homes are fine, have been forced to find alternative lodging while the billows of smoke filter through the mountains.

At Cypress Square, we had a parking lot celebration where the many store owners stood under tarpaulins and were providing free samples to the many visitors that showed up in spite of the sporadic rain. It was wild to hear of one band whose operations were shut down when lightning struck their sound equipment. I only can say I am shocked at their lack of dedication. I toiled over bags of bulk foods, and listened to the thunderclaps overhead, and never once did I think that such an active storm could cause any problems.

The festivities included watching much of the management staff from our own grocery perched on a platform, above cool water, as determined nearby residents bought tickets to show their gifted pitching skills. I was pleased to hear all my bosses got soaked at least once.

Well, we have had problems. Governor Arnold has brought in fire crews from several neighboring states, and the burning is still going strong. The attendant firefighting efforts still can only address a portion of the fires burning at any one time. I must enjoy the fresh air coming in today, because we may have more smoky haze blowing in soon.

I sit in this coffee shop, and enjoy the fine air conditioning. I know I will have to enter into the fray soon. I am feeling too leisurely for my own good.


I have more business to address to.

My roommate started a dialogue with me, using the question, “Keith, remember when you moved in almost a year ago, we agreed your stay is to be temporary? Well...”

I have to visit my neurosurgeon's office to deliver papers to get my records released from past medical in San Jose.

I have my financial aid papers all rteady to go, but still do not have transcripts in Shasta College to get the ball rolling.... Today is not about leisure. I will post more later.

Thank you for reading.

21 comments:

bearlim said...

hi, thanks for visiting my blog although you can read it. I am sorry of that because I am using our country another language which called 'Mandarin'. I am surprise that you know Bahasa Melayu (Jangan Bermain Api)!

Mei-Wah said...

hello keith! you know Bahasa Melayu?

Keith said...

Firstly, I do not speak much of the language, and second...

Well, my instructor will be first to say I am learning Bahasa Indonesia.

Bear Lim and Mei-wah thaank you for stopping in my blog!

Panaderos said...

Stay safe. I hope the fires aren't too close to your home.

retchel said...

hi there...reading you entries here...keep it up

LimZhi said...

Hi Keith, thx for visiting my blog! Yea, human body is mysterious and interesting and that's why, I choose medicine! Who knows, I might be your doctor one day? ;)
I'm surprised you could speak Malay language (or Bahasa Indonesia)! =D

Keith said...

Panaderos, as I said before, thje fires are not encroaching, but they report that air quality will continue to decline3, and improver a while.

I made need a surgeon's mask just to ride mny bicycle

Keith said...

Retchel, Thank you for reading here.
I hop0e you find my entries interesting, and come back

Keith said...

Limzhi, I pray thae day comes I will not need any more medical assistance (while I am still alive!) but if you come to practice in the states, you may get my business.

ALiNe said...

Looks like your room mate is getting rid of you... tsk!

mekurukito said...

you definitely should go to bandung one day if you get the chance. it's a really nice place! :)

My said...

Oh, a fire scene again. It seems it always happen out there. The gov should supply fire extinguisher to every home :-)

You're learning many different language, Keith. You and hubby should meet someday, seems that you both have the passion for language, hehee.

Keith said...

Aline, I am sure all happens in God's world for a reason, so I will not fret this turn of events... I do appreciuate your spirited commentary

Keith said...

Mekurukito, I have already beeen assured that Bandung is on my travel agenda. I have consulted with my language instructor. I have been assured that is one of the places I am required to visit.

Keith said...

My, either I would have to embark on my first trip to Europe, or you and your hubby would be visiting the islands at the same time..... Well, I am sure all will come to pass in time. God bless.

PinaySmile said...

Aloha from Hawaii. Hello Keith, passing by here and checking what's new here... Tc!

Keith said...

Pinaysmile, kumusta? Welcome back to my page. I am always grateful for your sharing. TC

Robert said...

Hey Heada,
I've got two words for you.
Spell check.
Peace out,
-RC

Keith said...

Robster, I thank you for the input. I see you are from Redding. Great town.

I also see you are a taurus, so if I wear open toed shoes, I may get a sense as to whether the bull being slung underfoot is fresh.

Peace. Out.

PinaySmile said...

Mmmm u know how to speak Filipino? Well, mabuti naman po ako! ikaw musta na? thanks for the visit today and the comment.

Annie said...

I once learned to say thank you in over a dozen languages. I thought it was important, and still do. Darned if I can only remember about seven now. Unfortunately, I've not had to use too many of them, and they've drifted out of my mind. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.