Sunday, June 22, 2008

My Next Thoughts on the Subject



COURSE: Mindful Communication (WSP 141)
LINK: http://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/course/WSP141.asp

Mindfulness, a major tradition within meditation practice, is also known as
insight meditation. With its practice, awareness is brought to each moment in
a non-judgmental way that helps you see what is on your mind without editing
or censorship. By observing your thoughts and emotions, as if you had taken a
step back from them, you can see much more clearly the processes of your
mind. With more mindful awareness comes greater mental clarity and calmness
to meet life’s challenges.

With practice, these qualities can be integrated into day-today interactions
with others. In addition to silence, movement, and other mindfulness
exercises
, this course will also teach awareness of speech through the use of
a non-judgmental language known as Nonviolent Communication (NVC), which can help you learn to be true to yourself while compassionate with others.
Through this process, you will learn to transform habitual, reactive patterns
of thinking that often lead to anger, depression, or isolation, and move
instead toward a conscious language that is based on life-affirming
connection and empathy. A list of area practice groups and ongoing classes
will be provided to strengthen meditation and communication skills. Both
instructors have studied and practiced mindful meditation for more than
thirty year

After, listening to all the commentaries on forgiveness, I have been struck with what a forgiving readership I have. I think to my challenges, and to my righteous anger, and then read about all the forgiving souls I have listening to me. This it for me a challenge.

I have some people that know what I believe. I may b e a little quiet, a little ambiguous on that. I know that for me, I see how important this is to many folk, and I would never actively deprecate anyone for having these ideas that seem to swim in the direction of altruism. I am not altruistic, and when I contemplate the concept of 70x 7, m,y thoughts move to a world where maybe people would admit their faults before I could forgive them. In this world, one thing I know is my willingness to admit my faults only invites others with opportunistic zeal, to trounce upon me when they feel a need to attack someone. So, I offer up today's course description, and am willing to resume our talks on forgiveness.

In church I was taught to be contrite. I was taught to have remorse when I did things wrong. Here I am told I have to let these things go, if only for my own peace of mind. Some people will never own up to their mistakes.

Yes, I read from the course that my forgiveness will heal me. I know my forgiveness will save my heart, and my health, so perhaps I am silly to deny myself this. I told my coworker, a beautiful, discerning woman, that I was distraught over all the free flowing claims of people's forgiving natures...

She looked at me tenderly, and said with great love, “Keith, these people want to show you how they put these principles in practice. Perhaps they are arrogant, or perhaps they are sincere. It is possible that they are trying to act better than you, or maybe they are filled with a conviction, backed up with worldly experience...”

“:... In any case, you have to forgive them.” (She seemed tickled by this). Sigh.

Well, she did not say I have to forgive anyone else. I guess that is fine. So, how do I get from last discussion to today's course offering from the Stanford catalog?

I think maybe some more mindfulness will serve me well as I mull over the eighteen responses I had to my last post. I am feeling oxygen deprived, and I crave my chances to witness entropy in the world, and the degradation of the glues that hold it all together as oxidation brings everything back down to its base elements. I need to meditate, and you all think I need to forgive. Seventy times seven was the message

Mindfulness is my next course. I am learning how to be open to thjese ideas. I suppose you all are helping me along the way.

Thank you reading.



As for the doctor, I actually know the name of my doctor, and I am delivering the release form they want so they can review my past neuro records. I will be in expert care, as my neuro doc comes with very high recommendation.





10 comments:

Nerissa said...

Hi!...How are you now? I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for dropping by. You always have a nice reflection on things. I read your post on forgiveness and stuffs..it made me smile when you wrote something about what Rose said while looking at Jack sinking. Hope you can visit Cebu again. Hmmm.. were you teaching before..as far as I can remember you mentioned that you were teaching. Are still doing it now?.....Have a wonderful day and Get well..

Keith's mom said...

Hey Sweet Man...You should know by now that George Carlin died last Sunday...Since we share a real affection and appreciation for his wonderfully wacky brain, I knew you'd be thinking of him. Me too...

Love your essays, but then I'm your mom and I'm supposed to think you are brillant.

XOXO
Mom

Panaderos said...

For me, forgiveness must be earned. I am willing to forgive but I need to sense sincerity on the part of the other person. For me, "moving on" means to resume one's relationship with the other person with the determination not to repeat past mistakes.

That was a beautiful and reflective post.

elezend said...

“Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”

~Dale Carnegie

Being forgiving is a good thing but the person you forgive must be reflective as well.

elezend said...

I wonder if I posted or maybe I need to wait for the moderation? (I remember writing comment earlier on)

Anyway, it highly depends on what the person has done in order to gain my forgiveness

patient passenger said...

keith,

i enjoy reading your blogs--they always offer wonderfully deep insight...for a cynic even. =P you are bold--quite bold, in fact.

concerning forgiveness....your angle on the matter is quite interesting. i think by default people seem to preach forgiveness, and moreover they are all bark and no bite. it takes a battle-hardened cynic to explore the lonely roads of this opposition.

would you agree that it often seems people are eager to forgive others when they themselves are in need of forgiveness? of course, there are exceptions...but it is an interesting idea to ponder. =P

simpleyesa said...

OOOPS, a big OPPPS, because i got disoriented. hehe. I haven't been able to visit your blog for quite sometime but glad i came back.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment. Please don't get tired of it.

God bless...

simpleyesa

keith said...

Oh sorry i seem to be sort of busy this past days, i didn't realize your comment. BTW, how are you keith? Funny, we share the same name. hehehe. I'm glad you had actually visited my country and cebu in particular. Thanks for dropping by Keith. I'll see you sometimes. Goodluck and godbless!

Keep it up!

Deacon Pat said...

I just checked out your site. You are avery gifted writer. What a great site. I look forward to reading more.

God keep you,
Deacon Pat

Avee said...

Thanks for visiting and for your thoughts.

I am forgiver but hard to forget but of course depends on the what has done why need forgiveness.

Avee's Adventures
Fil-Am Stories
Essay of Life
All About Reviews