Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I woke up early this morning. I went to bed at a reasonable hour, and was primed to start my new experience as a student. My classes here, now, are designed to prepare me to transfer on to a four-year school, and get my degree. I have a diploma. From Mission College, in 1995, I was able to walk a stage in a graduation ceremony, but now, years later, I asm starting to work on actual goals.

My journey this morning began at four in the morning, and I am challenged to say that there is anything wrong with that. I love the early hours. I love texting internationally at these quiet hours, my ultra-cheap, and outdated Motorola still holds charge. My simple desire to have convenient, easy transmission of ideas across multiple time zones does not demand cellular games, a touch screen, access to movie times, or GPS trip planning.

My phone is ideal. My life as a student demands no fancy communications. My work to become a teacher is made simple now that I have online classes. I am studying multicultural perspectives on English. I have an Intoduction to American Government, General Earth Science, and a Survey of Drama as Literature. No fancy ringtones needed for my lifestyle. So, I sit here, on Shasta Community College Campus, surrounded by students fifteen to twenty years my junior, and I am constantly reminded my goal is top finish and get out of here...

So, when I woke up this morning, I was filled with hope. I exchanged some communications across the globe, and I prepared myself for the day ahead. Here is Rives, a slam poet, and performance artist, as he talks about four in the morning.




This talk was given at the TED conference in Monterey, California. Check out TEDtalks to see many other interesting speakers...

11 comments:

faeryrowan said...

You're going back to school! That's awesome.! I've always wanted to go back to school and learn more. There's just something "exhilarating" about learning new things this way. More power to you, Keith!

By the way, I have a little something for you on my blog. It's a small token of thanks for being an online friend. ;)

LimZhi said...

(reply from my comment box)
Wow? So she's an Indonesian who taught u Bahasa Indonesia? So nice..is she staying in the US now?
Thanks for your recommendation, I visited her blog! ;) Can u understand her posts?

--Ping-- said...

hi
thx for dropping by...
so cool u r interested in our food.
I am still an outstation student who learn to be independent...
I doubt if u wan to know more about our country food...my site will have insufficient info on that...
hehe..
I am so happy for ur strong interest to find out about our food too..

Panaderos said...

I'll check it once I get home this evening. Our office doesn't allow access to YouTube unfortunately. I'll be back. :)

Keith said...

FaeryRowan , I have been to your blog. I feel quite honoured. Thank you for thinking of me on your blog.

Keith said...

LimZhi, I can understand her blogposts when they are posted in English!

Indeed, day by day, and week by week, I learn more and more. I shall learn this language. I have faith

Keith said...

Miss Ping, Terima kasih for such a kind comment. Indeed I hope to try out the fine food in Malaysia someday. There is never a day that I check out more than two Malaysian blogs that someone is not posting pictures of food...

Keith said...

Panaderos! Magandang hapon, my friend!

Check it out when you get a chance. This speaker is quite entertaining

Panaderos said...

I just checked it out, Keith and you're right. He is a very entertaining speaker. I was so amused with the 4 a.m. speech. Good one! Thanks! :)

LimZhi said...

Hahah good effort! ;) When you can finally piece the whole thing, do rmb to lemme know ya! =)
Btw, how many percent can you reach now? Her posts are quite long though~

saintnick said...

Cool video. I guess 4AM is the cutoff time because once you're up that late, you might as well stay up all around the clock.
Also, I have a little blog of my own now, here's the address
www.cruzio.com/wordsmith
Once you find the state flag you'll know you've come to the right place.
Good luck being a student again,
Nick in Santa Cruz