Monday, December 8, 2008

Robots? In my Blood? You Crazy?


(I have included links to much information here. I encourage you to investigate them)

As I posted last, I am now preparing for the next move in my schooling. I have received many comments from kind folk wishing me good luck, and prosperity. I have many people encouraging me in exploring my physical problems, and seeking out solutions to those. I am posting, also on my latest enthusiasm. I have watched speaker after speaker on ted.com, and feel my brain filling with hope, and excitement as I listen to ideas from the visionaries of our time.

I am not here with any solutions to the world's problems. I listen to “those” visionaries every time I step into McDonald's and take note of the political prognostication that brings life to my hashbrown and sausage mcmuffin. I listen to discussions that convince me I have no right guessing about the future. I am starting to let go of the idea I want technology that is five years old. I am letting go of the idea that I can bubble myself from the speed of change. I am amazed that with all the change that has occurred in my life, I am able to move forward without a host of stress related disorders.

In 1970, Alvin Toffler first published the book Future Shock. I would eventually read it in the 1980's, share it with my psychology instructor, who told me the book not only failed to be about psychology. The book was just not true. Toffler suggested in his book that change was occurring in such an unprecedented rate that entire societies were showing evidence of disorders in health and psychology related to the stresses of an exponential rise in change.

His book arrived on the scene just a few years after the arrival of Moore's Law, predicted the rate of advancement in printed circuit boards would double in number of transistors every two years. Moore's Law serves well as a backdrop for the more expansive theory of Toffler. In 1970, Toffler demonstrated on a graph the exponential rate at which technological advancement has taken place in society, and how we are living in a time where such changes will be astronomical. Today I was watching engineer and longevity scientist Ray Kurzweil speaking on the future of nano-robots, the consistency of change in a chaos model, and the potential dangers of virus study. Thius discussion was especially shocking when I pondered that Kurzweil's biggest foray into popular culture came in the form of a groundbreaking music synthesizer. Now he is talking about immortality and nanorobots?



So, as I court this future plan of mine to be a teacher of English, I am excited to have technology on the side. I still only use my computer for information searches, and word processing. But, even then I am struck at how wild my dream is becoming. I want to teach overseas. I know where I might be teaching, and I know by when I want my degree. So many variables exist in all this, I find comfort in studying a well established language (I am an English major).

Unlike Kurzweil, and gerontologist Aubrey DeGrey, I have no desire to live forever. Still, the science that both are advancing seems to have worldwide implications in healing the troubles of the world. I have high hopes. Kurzweil sees a great world of medical (and other technology) advances. It is a challenge in a time when our clunky medical infrastructure seems so inefficient. Technology may be advancing, but who will get to enjoy the benefits of this new technology? When will we see the fruits of these men's efforts?

Moore's Law, and Toffler's predictions suggest there is no way I can hide from change. So, today again I resolve to move forward.

Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Nyl said...

you'll get there keith..there where you wanna be, just hang on!:)