Thursday, May 21, 2009

Today's Jungle Reflections



Wow! Now I have had my brain scanned, I have the quiet comfort of knowing there is still one in my brain case. It is Thursday, and I have scheduled my nerve scan so I can get all these things done before my vacation. I want a diagnosis, but I hope what is learned does not mess with my mood too much. Sigh. I am saying that I know that maybe the news will not be all to uplifting. Still, I am excited about my upcoming trip.

I am headed to a tropical destination and will be thrilled to hang where I have to change my shirt three times a day. I live in Redding, California, a small city (or a large town?) where many people living lives of leisure talk about “hanging out in the Tropics.” I would hear that, and was amazed at how many people here were into tropical vacations. Of course then I saw the Tropics with my own eyes.

I did not have to go to SFO. No 12 hour plane trips. Walking a short distance from the Good News Rescue Mission, I looked up and saw The Tropics.

I now know that the Tropics is a very popular dive bar in town, and I had my moment of clarity. I also noted that The Tropics is a short walk from the club where most of the Redding area Alcoholics Anonymous meetings are held. So, I read from my friend Anastasia who was sharing about the imminent extinction of Sumatra's people of the forest, the orangutan (Bahasa Indonesia: orang = people, utan= forest). So close to where I am headed, and so much of it is already gone.

Welcome to the jungle, indeed. The jungle God created is being destroyed daily to make way for palm plantations, and the poor orangutan is fast disappearing. I will not dwell on this small point. I am looking at teaching, and perhaps studying overseas. This trip will be a fine chance to explore this plan, and see what I have to do to make it a reality.

So, despite the fact that I can barely walk, I am sure I will find a way to hike a volcano, and reflect on the faux pas of American movie makers who named the film Krakatoa, East of Java. Krakatoa is a volcano, but it is not east of Java, and that mistake did cause countless dollars to be spent renaming the movie Volcano.

This time of reflection will be had while exploring Buddhist temples, and consuming fish with plates of nasi goreng topped with sambal (fried rice with hot sauce).

As for the brain scan, I have been scheduled for a nerve conduction test, and have heard nothing about a spinal tap (did I dodge this one?) I will find out.

In the meantime, I thank you all for reading.

5 comments:

LimPek said...

wow...ur header picture is a warrior!!!

nyl said...

enjoy the trip Keith!

take care..:)

Maricris Zen Mama said...

I hope everything turns out good. I'm excited for you. You're leaving soon right? Wohoo! I know you're excited. Give me a holler before you leave :)

Bengbeng said...

i hope everything turns out ok for you. sorry to read abt yr medical issues

haze said...

Take care on your trip and am sure you'll have a blast. Just keep your positive attitude with you ;) !