Sunday, June 7, 2009

I am back home again...


Sigh. I am back at home with my family in San Jose. I was on a train all night, and getting sleep was a lost cause.

I was grateful that the train was on time. Trying to get to San Jose is a challenge to my patience, bcause the train only passes through Redding once a day, and has to take a backseat to nearby freight trains that may be using the same tracks. For this reason, the Amtrack will regularly be late 30 minutes to three hours late for its 2: 20 AM schedule.

The train caught me off guard. I was coming out of the bathroo when I saw no one in the waiting area. I quickly gathered up my stuff, and hustled out to the train loading area where conductors were already calling off names for passengers with reservations. Hustling has become more challenging with my balancing issues. I gathered my bags, and hobbled out to the front door, where I was shown where to sit.

My seating reminded me why I like to travel with Vicks VapoRub. Vicks is indispensible when traveling with people who for religious or perhaps medical reasons do not bathe. A little Vicks goes a long way to making such situations more bearable. The man I was seated with was outrageously smelly.

He was confused, and was not sure where he wanted to depart. He leaned forward, and made deep sighs, and smacked his gums a lot I closed my eyes, and tried to sleep. After Sacramento, though, he departed, and a couple arrived with a walker. The husband had walking difficulties and mentioned MS. I was amazed at how many of his symptoms matched mine. Him and his wife shared much information withj me. I do not still know if my diagnosis is MS, but I do at least know what resources are available to me if that is the case.

I moved my seat after Sacramento, trying to get away from the stinky man's seat. I curled up, and was able to use my night shades to get a couple hour's sleep. I arrived back in San Jose, where I await my trip to see Jakarta, Indonesia. Pictures are forthcoming...

Thank you for reading!

6 comments:

serenityspeaks said...

Your post made me smile Sir! I wish I could travel like what you did.

serenityspeaks said...

good that your home...

Keith said...

Serenity, I appreciate you sharing with me. It is indeed a blessing to be home. In six days I travel abroad...

dr greg said...

Glad to see you're alive - tried to phone you 30ish times btwn saturday evening and tuesday - not accepting calls; tried emails - no replies. As I said, glad to see you're still live and in motion. Have a good trip, may your sweet lady tread you well, and will see you in july.
greg
ps. you've missed the daily afternoon thunderstorms - so far, all have been wet, hence no fires... (yet).
pps. MS now appears to be a question of diet - now know a dozen or so that have worked thru it and are now back up to a full head of steam... think mangosteens, lots of mangosteens! And fats are good (raw material for myelin)

dr greg said...

We await news of your Jakarta arrival - hope the trip went smoothly... and she's twice as beautiful as you expected!

Panaderos said...

I hope that by the time you read this that you have safely arrived at Jakarta. Take care of yourself, my friend. I wish you the best of luck there.