Tuesday, July 21, 2009


I moved! (the picture may be deceptive.... not taken in San jose.)

I am now living in San Jose, California. This is a move friends and family have been encouraging since I left three years ago. I roder a bicycle to the northern part of California, and encountering the first hills of my journey, lost hope trying to tow a sixty pound trailer up eight percent grades showed me how well I overestimated my tenacity and strength. It also showed me I knew nothing about planning for such a trip.

Weeks before arriving in Redding I passed through the twin cities of Marysville and Linda. There I met the ownerof a local KFC and his daughter who asked me about my bike ride. She said ass I lefrt the store that I was walking with a limp. I told her that it com,es and goes. I assured her it was from riding my bike a lot.
Perhaps as part of my sins, I can add scaring a young person away from bicycling...

So, perhaps that was evidence of the diagnosis I received just two months ago. After visiting a chiropractor, almost getting fired from my job twice, receiving notices from people through my blog, leg tremors, falls, and loss of function in my arms and legs, I finally brought all this full circle. I contacted the social workers, made the appointments, and got the tests which brought me to one phone call over a month ago, telling me I have multiple sclerosis. Shit happens.

Still, now I am bacfk in a valley where the help I need is available in abundance, where services are available to assure my independence, and I can see my family and friends more freely.

Yesterday I went to see a cousin that works as a physical therapist. She did assure me that while I am using a walker and a wheelchair now for mobility, I should be able to walk more freely with the right braces and supports. So, let the healing begin!

Thank you for reading!

4 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

Keith, I'm so sad to hear that diagnosis.

I'll be praying that your treatment goes well and that you'll get the support that you need in the coming months and years.

LZ said...

happy riding! :D

reanaclaire said...

Warm greetings from Malaysia.. hi to u, Keith, first time visit to your blog via Eugene's blog. Read a few of your posts and hope to continue to do so from now on. Hope everything goes on smoothly for u.. God Bless!

Yesa said...

Hello Keith,

I dont know what to post in your recent posts, so i chose to post here as my message could be a little relative. hehe. I have a friend, one filipino, on a mission in Indonesia. Am not sure where exactly he is right now but ive heard he's going to a conference.

Hope things are well with you. Take care.

Yesa