Friday, August 27, 2010

SCI: San Jose (weight bearing)


In a time that predates digicams, the Internet, VHS tape recording, or even color television, a woman made a request of her husband. She wanted a wall removed from their home, and she wanted this passionately. He looked to her lovingly, compassionately, and explained that it simply could not be done.

His reason was that the wall in question was a weight bearing wall, and that the structural integrity of their home rested on leaving that wall in place. She knew her husband was a righteous, discerning man, and she knew that walls were indeed placed in buildings to bear the weight of the structure above. Whether she doubted her husband's honesty, or if she doubted his knowledge is uncertain. But, one day she decided that his claim that this unsightly wall was vital to protecting their home needed to be put to the test.

She waited for her husband to go to work, and she found herself a big hammer; she brought that wall down. Then, she waited to see if the ceiling to collapse, and for her husband to return home. I know that only one of those events came to pass. Jamie Hyneman, Robert Lee, and Adam Savage regularly test ideas like these, and I believe that woman exhibited the same zeal that keeps the weekly show Mythbusters on television season after season.

It can be argued that she did not have a mythbuster passion so much as she had a burning desire to destroy that wall, but over fifty years later there are few people who could reliably testify as to her motives on that day.

I have my own take on weight bearing now. I have only in recent months considered what I want to do to start walking again. I am recovering from a spinal cord injury between cervical spine 5 and 6. Taking muscle relaxant to control spasm, and having close to a year pass since I last walked, there is a lot of work for me to do.

One tool that is invaluable is the standing frame. Last year my therapists showed this to me, and I discovered immediately the value of it. By putting me up into a standing position, i am able to put weight on all the muscles in my legs and back. The frame straps me in, so I can stand for long periods of time without using my own balance, my own strength.

Regular use of the standing frame works on my body in several ways. I works to restore proper circulation in my legs. The weight bearing reduces tone/spasm in my legs. It increases bone density, and decreases my dependence on muscle relaxant. Most spinal cord patients take baclofen, a central nervous system based muscle relaxant. Regular use of weight bearing exercise makes it possible to gradually limit use of the drug as spasticity decreases.

My physical therapist wanted me to attend an adaptive PE class at a nearby college, so I could use a standing frame regularly. But, through the help of my family, and the encouragement of my cousin, my parents found a neighbor who as a great craftsman, built a standing frame which is now in my room, and I can use as often as I want. This is getting to be exciting...

Thank you for reading.

10 comments:

Andy said...

Cool standing frame. I know about making them as I made on for Maureen a few years back. It was much cruder than yours. Praise to the maker!

Island Angel said...

Ah! Don't lose hope, Keith! I'm sure you'll be able to walk again. What great news you bring about how this stand frame brought wonders for you--especially that it makes you less dependent of the muscle relaxant. I'm so proud of you!

BTW, just curious. What happened to the story about that wall? Who won? the woman or the husband? LOL! And I love it that you mentioned Mythbusters cuz that's like one of my fave shows (^_^)

Take care, Keith! And stay healthy (^_^)

Keith said...

Andy, he is a retired engineer, that is a friend of my parents. While he was building it, I got regular reports from my fqamily on the work he did. Everyone is impressed with it

Keith said...

Gel, my friend, of hope i have plenty. This standing frame is a wonderful gift.

As for the woman in the story, that was my lola, and from what I observed, and from what I was told, she usually got her way.

She passed away almost eleven years ago at the age of 91.

Anonymous said...

Great blog entry Keith! I like the "weight bearing" example of our grandmother, the original "TAWONDA!"

I can't wait to see what regular use of the frame will do for you!
:)
Kathleen

Santa Cruz Nick said...

That's one kind neighbor your parents have. I know it sounds trite but I wish for you all the best in your recovery, and if those muscle relaxants are giving you a problem you might want to try some other "relaxants".

Nyl said...

nice one Keith!I pray that with the aid of this tool for your recovery, things will progress in your condition. God has a way of letting us feel that we're His precious creations..even in the simplest of things around.

Take care Keith..keep going!

it's been awhile..:)

manglish said...

dropping by to say hi and thank you

manglish said...

just managed to read thru some of your blog, keith...FIGHTTO...:) like the Japanese like to say :) have a good day ahead

Bengbeng said...

Keith, great to hear from you again.

I hope this link might interest you or give you ideas?

http://www.mylongkang.com/2009/02/23/malaysian-made-occupational-therapy-equipmentspositioning-equipment-at-14-of-the-cost/