Friday, April 29, 2011

Duct Tape Heals.

Years ago, I was told a man only needs two tools, a can of WD-40, and a roll of duct tape. Case-in-point, if something moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If something does not move- and you think it should- use WD-40. Recently, I put this advice to work.

A few weeks ago, I boarded a bus, and I found myself wedged in too tight for me to execute a trouble-free exit from the vehicle. I was blissfully unaware of the problem, read a book, and passed time until I reached my destination. Even the arm of my cchair is equipped with a variety of moving parts, including a joystic that retracts and extends easily.

Upon arriving at my stop, I prepared to exit, and waited for the driver to remove the securing straps. I noted my tight placement with my armrest located directly behind a folded up seat. Starting forward with the joystick, the armrest pushed into the seat, instead of rotating awauy from the seat, and the resulting force caused the whole armrest assembly to rotate backwards, making access to the joystick impossible for me.

Three passengers and the busdriver, eager to get back in motion, worked together to help restore access to mmy controller, and expedite my departure. Crazy, embarrassing, and annoying, this trip became more exciting realizing a bolt was missing in my arm rest; looking down at my controller, I noted several wires were exposed that had previously been hidden and protected.

No stress. I would not think about the immanent threat to my mobility, and make the calls to get this fixed. I made calls, and waited. I called my doctor, called the chair repair place, and waited a few days, a few days until...

I noted the absence of my ATM card while away from home. Unable to eat, I boardeds another bus, and rushed home! At home, my wallet was missing, my ATM card still missing, and my head was spinning. Throwing my jacket on my bed in frus3tration, my ATM card fell out. I decided my wallet did not contain anything needing cancellation or immediate replacement. Calm was coming back, and my need for food was growing. I left the house traveling one-half mile, when, the arm fell off my chair.

The next repair was with two unsecured bolts, and duct tape. I scrambled to get some food. Within days, my chair was completely restored, my wallet was recovered, and none of it was hastened by my frustration, distrust, or nagging phone calls. My chair does look much better without duct tape, too. Amazing.

3 comments:

nyl said...

it's testing your sense of focus keith..and patience!

thanks for sharing..keep moving!:)

levian said...

wow, fortunately things worked out in the end. i would be so nervous if it were to happen to me!

Keith said...

Nyl, I am sure God just wants to keep me entertained. The chair mechanic came right to my house, and made two vital repairs in ten minutes.

Levian, none of it would have been a big deal if I was not already hungry. My hunger state makes me grumpy, and anything becomes a crisis then...