Thursday, July 28, 2011

Striving for Balance: off to the gym


I have a friend who has been posting on his Facebook page, his latest efforts to follow a Calorie counting/budgeting program online. More offensive, he continues his efforts to record his exercise regimen, and his interaction with this program, detailing the computer counts. The program them tells him (accurately?) how much weight he will continue to lose. This public posturing is shameless. I will neither celebrate nor endorse these efforts.

But, unlike me, he is off living life on two feet, and I am closing on an anniversary of the time I stopped walking. I grew tired of waiting. I had spinal surgery on May 24, 2010, and while I am not afraid of disappointment, I did expect more progress, much faster. People in my life wanted me to lower my expectations, and even today, I remain resistant.

So, in the year since spinal cord rehab, my life has changed. I get nerve function where I did not have it before. I can move my body with greater strength and agility than in the days prior to my surgery. I continue to regain strength in both my right and left leg, while at times am able to stand upright (for 60 seconds maybe) unassisted, holding onto no rails or devices. I remain grateful, but not complacent.

What other change would seem relevant for me? Like my friend, I have changed my diet. Like him, I do not see this as a proactive measure. Both of us are responding to changes in our health. In my case, it may seem a tad more obvious. Though, perhaps I have not gained much weight, My midsection has expanded, and shirts that fit well six months ago, now have to be rolled on to my body like a pair of stockings. I feel my dignity challenged by this. My body fat index has raised several points, and I have grown intolerant (mostly of my friend losing weight).

Due to my personal success in the past year, I am now able to leave my home for longer trips, and I toured the YMCA near my home. My guide, Joseph, followed my instructions and wrote the date, July 6, 2011 , inside the folder I was given to assist in my rapid application process. Yes, with the fitness trainers they have there, I can make some serious progress health-wise.



I need to get a swim suit. In this place they have an enormous pool, I can use to exercise. The progress I can achieve is unlimited if I fill out the application. It almost makes you wonder why I might hesitate. I quit therapy eighteen years ago, and do not philsophize on my feelings. But, at this pool is a special chair. This is a mechanical chair that can lift me from the water, and lower me back in to the pool. I will get started just because I have not been swimming in a long time. I think I miss it.

Thank you for reading.

12 comments:

Chrissy said...

First, love the facial hair, very nice. Secondly, I have a profound jealousy for all with the ability to diet and simply lose weight...but that's a whole other blog post.While not gaining, Im certainly not losing, either.At least, not much.The older and slower my metabolism ...oh you know the drill. Thirdly swimming is the most besterest, super keen, fun way to exercise.

Keith said...

Christal, yer awesome! There are things I still need to discuss with my doctor, but I know that without getting some exercise, I will be in trouble.

betchai said...

I too have a similar friend who would post all her dieting (counting calories) efforts and exercising (how much calories she has burned), and like you, somehow, I did not like the thought of someone shouting how many pounds they weigh publicly in Facebook and how many pounds they still have to lose. It's hard for me to understand that effort, but I guess we all are different. I hope you continue to do well, and continue to gain your strength, they swimming is a very good exercise, so I hope you make serious progress. Thanks also for visiting my blog.

Anne Stahr said...

Waaaaaay to go! I am thrilled for you to get this YMCA membership. You know how I feel about the water...it's returning to our essential beginning...and I know you will love it!
mom

Keith said...

Betchai, thank you for the share. I am joking mostly about my friend. I appreciate and gain strength from his efforts. I would like to believe given the same abilities, I might show the same dedication as him.

Keith said...

Mom, I love your enthusiasm! &Yes, I am looking forward to all of this

bengbeng said...

i still remember a year ago when you had to undergo surgery So glad you have made much improvement. An improvement is an improvement no matter the rate. At the same time, it means we are not getting any worse so it is a cause to celebrate.

I am feeling good today although it has not been an uneventful yr for myself too. I have had 4 minor surgeries done, lived with a lot of pain n have a few other procedures scheduled myself but I believe i am improving too. It is very much how we look at things. If i were to go the other way, how would I be able to pass the past six months comfortably?

Hope you don't mind me calling yyou brother. Bye brother. We will b in touch through the net.

Keith said...

Beng, terima kasih. I appreciate the kind thoughts. I likewise hope you continue in your progress.

The pain I get from my impatience is not like physical pain. I enjoy my progress, celebrate it, and I am grateful that despite my difficulty in function, I was spared most pain.

betchai said...

hi Keith, sorry, I will respond to your question here. I love Mono Lake and the Eastern Sierra, so many interesting places to explore there. However, we live in San Diego. Hope all is well.

rolly said...

Hi, Good luck on your worthy quest. I have to undertake the same regimen having been obese half of my life.

Thank you for revisiting my blog. I'm glad you found it again.

ev said...

thumbs up Keith!Keep it goin!:)

prinsesamusang said...

congratulations with all of your achievements! i pray that everything will roll on nicely for you. you are right, you should not be complacent! just keep the motivation and the focus! you can do it!