Friday, March 16, 2012

Embracing Utlity

every once in a while, someone will walk up to me, share with me some value as if it's some clearly verifiable fact, when in truth the value is totally arbitrary and cannot be verified by any source. Estimates are funny that way. For example, when I was a kid people used to talk about nuclear arms, and say crazy things like" there are enough nuclear arms to blow up the world ten times over." Unable to determine what is even meant by the phrase " blow up the world" these estimates are useless.

 Still, people tell us these things perhaps to inform us, but were likely to arouse some kind of emotional response. But, I did a Google search on the number of advertising messages a person sees a day. While there is no real system to get an accurate number on this, most people accept that the number is rather large. The Google search I did came up with estimates of anywhere from 500 to 5000 advertising messages or images a day.

  I do love technology, but historically I've been slow to adopt it. I even once said that I would only accept technology that is at least five years obsolete. Once again I throw out an arbitrary value of my own. Who knows why I picked five years? Yet, I am not absent from this world. I sit on the Internet, I do watch some television, and I am out in the world every single day. Even I come face-to-face with hundreds advertising messages trying to burrow into my brain. Even I fall under the evil influence of advertisers. I know it's shocking to hear me make such an admission.

  I wanted to build an image of myself. I liked the image I had of myself as being technologically resistant. Forty years after the writing of Toffler's future shock, I enjoy putting the brakes on change in my life. I watched the television show Monk, when a woman asked Adrian," you don't like change much. Do you"? He said that he doesn't mind change; he just doesn't want to be there when it happens. I sometimes feel like that.

  I enjoy my Samsung flip phone, my old IBM Lenovo laptop(with the Windows XP OS), my MP3 player, in my small room filled with surge protectors, Chargers, transformers, and single-purpose tech devices. Funny however, I acknowledge my limited mobility. I see that issues that come from my limited digits (fingers) in this digital age. I have become sold on the utility of multipurpose devices. In short, I want an Android. I'm talking about a tablet. My little fingers hate holding books. Backpacks are a mess. People up in hitting me up to buy for myself a book reader device.

  A 7 inch tablet is what I'm looking for. The ability to check my e-mail, read my books, surf the net, take pictures, and report to you; it's all too good to be true. The trick is to find the right one. Piece by piece I am actually researching this information. You would think that I've escaped my impulsivity. Yet, sorting the pros and cons of each one device is taking time. It's scary knowing that owning the most popular readers demand that I purchase my reading material through their parent company. Apparently, there is some truth in that statement. I was lost in a moment's reverie, when I discovered that the android store provides access to over 400,000 apps.( the Kindle Fire apparently only has access to 10,000 of those apps . Hmmnnn.)

  All this would be a moot point, if I never walked into Barnes & Noble on that one day. It was a different day, a day with special vibration, and me wandering about with the curious sensitivity. I saw the Barnes & Noble Nook display, held the device in my hand, and asked the salesman many questions. It feels wrong to confess this vulnerability. But luckily, I had no money. The Android people, the iPad people, the Kindle reader devotees, all played a part in this meme that was planted in my soul. Like a sneeze, like a nervous tic, or the aura of an oncoming seizure this meme begs fulfillment. But, I can still read about them, touch them, and visit them. I do not have to have one right now.

  Thank you for reading

1 comment:

Santa Cruz Nick said...

I've also been historically resistant to change, but a lot of that has more to do with economics. When I went to purchase a 12" TV for my bedroom in the late 80's, a new color set was $250, but a black and white was only $50, so I made the economic decision. I still have that little b&w TV, and it would still work if I had a digital converter.