Thursday, April 12, 2012

Counting the Days by Candlelight

I have one week left to go. Sitting in this home- constant care, good food, and no privacy- some people might feel that I am torn about my decision to move. I'm not torn. I crave my privacy, and I enjoy knowing that I'll soon be in more control of my day-to-day activities. I received notification yesterday that my apartment has opened up

 I can't say that my home here is not interesting. I glance at our elderly cat, Sherbet, and am pleased to note that since his trip to the groomers, he is already starting to grow back his hair. He's now made the transition from looking like a sickly Chihuahua, to looking like a shorthaired cat with a fuzzy tail. I found a brush that I don't use the ran that across his back, and he enjoys the attention pressing into the brush with his face, his chin, in his back.he's enjoying a lot of extra attention now that he's getting old.

 Someone is watching the Smurfs movie on the big screen television. Next to me, on the coffee table, someone has replaced this morning's orange rind candle. The orange was sliced in half, and the fruit was extracted from the rind, leaving behind an empty shell with the pithy core of the orange rising up as a makeshift wick. I've already watched this process once today, and it's amusing to see that someone wanted to re-create it. The only point of contention I would have over this process, is that they are using olive oil as the fuel for the candle.

 I can find no justification for that. It may be exciting to watch Rachael Ray on television, and watch as she sprinkles her EVOO on her food products, but olive oil was not meant for combustion. This, of course, is in my own humble opinion. I stare at the olive oil- a light, flavorful, monounsaturated oil-and can only think of its expense, and how it relates to its limited potential as a fuel. Indeed this candle is only an experiment, but if I'm to watch this repeated more than this one night, I would have to protest. For a far lesser expense, they could invest in a polyunsaturated fat, far more hydrogen rich, then this olive oil; this candle would be a sustainable experience, that would definitely give us more bang for our buck.

As I have listened to Dr. Bill Wattenberg, I know this is the path I have to take, and I must fight the good fight. But, in a week this will all be a moot point. I am packing up my boxes, switching up the addresses for my magazine subscriptions, and hoping the best for that little kitty who will live out his final months here. I will celebrate my independence, and I will start writing my own menus.

 I will not look back to the fine people here, the good food, or their general concern for my well-being, with any kind of longing. I am grateful for the assistance that I'm getting here, particularly their assistance in helping me move. Yet, when I move it will be unceremonious, and without regret. For as long as I  lived on this planet, I have Truly come to like many people. I don't believe that I like anyone enough, though, to want to live with them. I believe this change is a good one, well overdue.

Thank you for reading.

No comments: